Thursday, September 23, 2010

Clean Patina


As you might see, I grilled the burger on over the left hand side of the grill. I discovered that this was not the best position, as the juices from the patty bounced off of the superheated flame-tamer and then out the air vents on the left side of the grill. If I need to load the grill full of food, I will have to place catch-rags to the left and right of the grill. I think I'll just avoid this annoyance.

This was virgin stainless steel. It's pretty heavy gauge, and I think I like it much better than the baked-enamel finish flame-tamers that are on the new grill upstairs. I also like the way heating the metal causes a purple discoloration. Perhaps one day, I'll research this discoloration. Until then, I'll just enjoy watching it change and grow over time as more splatters appear and fuse into the growing patina.

Cleaning this portable grill is not too bad. The cooking grid is constructed from spot-welded quarter-inch stainless rod and goes through my pass-through window without difficulty, as do the flame tamers and the drip pan.  The procedure is to wash and set-to-dry the grid and tamers, and then to mop up drippings from the outer edge first, working under the burners and toward the center. Once complete, the drip pan is removed, washed and dried. The underside of the drip funnel is wiped down as well. I have a feeling that a full-blown post on this subject is in order. Perhaps I can get some help from Mike Rowe.

No comments: