Thursday, September 16, 2010

The First Mess

...making a mess of my grill
When starting out with a grill combination that you've never used before, it's nice to deploy a recipe that you've been using for some time. This helps to re-calibrate both your internal clock, and your sizzle sense. You know there is going to be a problem if you slide a burger onto the grill and it just goes splut. It had better sizzle, and sizzle just right. The sizzle tattoo is your clue that the energy is working into your meal. I also wanted to make absolutely sure that I had completed the commissioning burn-off procedure properly.

While the burger has been done on the well side, and the cheese was an afterthought of new-found proximity, I am happy with the way the bun turned out. It happens to be a sinusoidal crown cut. I like to get creative where some may make a straight line. The original crown cut is a zig-zag, if you'll see that in one of the flashback posts. I was able to make my way through the lean well done burger with the help of some Bad Brad's BBQ Sauce.

The teaser dish to the left is really just starting to cook. It's another experiment. I was accustomed to making up one or two of these appetizers on the bun-rack of the original grill. Moving this recipe over to the personal grill was a bit of a challenge — due to the fact that I would be right on top of the grill and kept to a very low height. I also hoped to save some energy. I'll also see how hard it is to get this grill cleaned up.

No comments: